With our nation’s deep political divide, conversations around politics and current events can get downright nasty, even among family and the best of friends.
But they don’t have to be!
Enter the new book, American Politics on the Rocks: The Bizarre Side of American Politics, as the antidote to the inflammatory political discussion. In it, author Rich Rubino showcases fun, humorous and embarrassing moments of our so-called esteemed political leaders over the years.
Whether you need an amusing anecdote to use at office lunches when things start to go downhill or a silly fact about politicians to keep political talk light at parties, American Politics on the Rocks is the new go-to source. While taking readers on a wild ride through wacky and obscure political information, it arms readers with just the right material for entertaining yet intelligent small talk.
From which president got a reporter to pull his pants down to feisty first lady comments, family feuds, debate debacles, embarrassing hot microphone moments and humiliating bloopers, readers will learn how much of our political history is actually amusing. The book’s numerous photos on every page — of old magazine covers, campaign posters, political cartoons and official portraits—add to the entertainment.
Some of the little-known, comical facts readers will discover include:
- Which presidential candidate told a reporter: “There is too much dignity in government now. What we need is some meanness.”
- The losing presidential candidate who deadpanned: “There’s nothing left to do but get drunk.”
- Which president threatened to fire, on the spot, any staff members who referenced the White House ghost, which they referred to as “the thing.”
- How American politics popularized the word “OK.”
- Which Republican U.S. senator loves Gangsta Rap.
- Which former president asked a journalist seconds before an important interview, “Well did you do any fornicating this weekend?”
- Which of the Congressional leaders pledged to fellow caucus members to be “a nicer son-of-a-bitch.”
With sections on everything from presidential family members and former allies-turned-opponents to political insults, election fate, and White House rats, American Politics on the Rocks leaves no stone unturned in its quest to deliver every imaginable tidbit to laugh about.
American Politics on the Rocks is now available to purchase.
Want more BookTrib? Sign up NOW for news and giveaways!
ABOUT RICHARD RUBINO:
Rich Rubino is a prolific author and commentator on American politics, but NOT politics as usual. Instead, he explores the humorous sides of politics that are not often talked about. He is the author of four books including, most recently, American Politics on the Rocks: The Bizarre Side of American Politics. His other titles are The Political Bible of Humorous Quotations From American Politics, Make Every Vote Equal: What a Novel Idea, and The Political Bible of Little Known Facts in American Politics. Rich has also written more than 100 columns for the Huffington Post and has appeared on hundreds of radio and television shows across the country.